Monday, April 6, 2015

Ei Ta Palu! (#AtoZChallenge 2015)

Ei ta palu!
[ATE-ah-PAH-loo]
(Literally: There's the tree.)


You've spent the whole afternoon trying to hang a painting straight, but every time you step back it looks crooked. Finally you ask a friend to help. "More to the right. No, a little to the left now. Just a smidge back to the--ei ta palu!" (English: That's it!)



"How can a politician be honest? They're just the mouthpieces for big enterprise."
"Ei ta palu."
(English: That's exactly the problem.)




You've been taking months of salsa lessons and still can't get the rhythm right. Until, one day, your feet become independent of your OCD brain and--bam! Your teacher claps and says, "Ei ta palu!" (English: You got it!)


Bonus E word for today:

erko

Care to take a guess? It's an easy one... Just say it out loud, see what it sounds like. Leave a comment with your guess, and come back tomorrow to see if you were right!

12 comments :

  1. Sounds like a very handy phrase for many situations!

    I can only think of echo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know how it feels if you ever use the phrase, Nick--it's a handy one indeed :) Ah, echo is, sadly, incorrect. But I'm glad you ventured a guess--and thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  2. I don't think anyone would ever say Ei ta palu! to me if I were learning to salsa, but it sounds like fun anyways!

    Good luck with the 2015 A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... You'd be surprised, S. L.--I've seen people go from totally white-boy-can't-dance clueless to competition-worthy cool moves in just a few months :D Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hi Guilie - I too can only think of echo .. but ... Ei ta palu - a phrase to cover all mysteries of life .. It's a fun phrase ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "All mysteries of life"--I like that, Hilary :) No, it's not echo, but I love that you gave it a try. Thanks for the visit!

      Delete
  4. You need me to help you hang your pictures straight: I have a good eye for that! Ei ta palu to me! ;) Love salsa dancing and think I have the basics down...good that you do: how fun salsa is! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elly, I DO! I suck at many things, but hanging pictures has to be in the top five :D So cool you dance salsa! (But that's not me in the pic ;) )

      Delete
  5. In Japanese, "sono tori." It means the same thing, "It's exactly like that." but it's so much more satisfying to express it in Japanese than in English. :P

    https://njmagas.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Air conditioner.... in such a need for one right now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. erko - almost sounds like yukk.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...